Bliss.

Bliss.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

It's Always A Good Time. :)

Hello there! 
There have been a lot of things going on lately. I guess it would make sense to use bullet points.
  •  I’ve been making several online purchases and they include:
    • Cuckoo’s Calling (Robert Galbraith)
    • Paper Towns: John Green
      • So basically it made for an okay-ish read. There were some concepts that I liked but the style and language wasn’t really the kind of literature that I would prefer. After reading refined English in classics, it is hard to find that quality of writing in recent authors. The themes may be relevant, the metaphors may be applicable but I find myself intermittently wondering why I am I reading something like this.
      • Some of the quotes from the book that I liked:
        •  It’s so hard to leave- until you leave. And then it’s the easiest goddamned thing in the world.
        • If you don’t imagine, nothing ever happens at all.
        • When did we see each other face-to-face? Not until you saw into my cracks and I saw into yours. Before that we were just looking into ideas of each other, like looking at your window shade but never seeing inside. But once the vessel cracks, the light can get in, the light can get out.
  • Recently, there has been a growing popularity of the Dubsmash App in the Girl’s hostel. We got this fun app from Sana (Arsikere) and spent several days lip-syncing to some famous actor’s popular dialogue and then laughing over the same for the next few hours! This time, Di and I had a great time bonding over Dubsmash (“Don ko pakadna mushkil hi nahi, na mumkin hai” delivered by an angry Divya :P )
  • I’ve been watching some movies lately and most of them have turned out to be good choices.
    • Phantom: We watched this in the theatre and it makes for an interesting face paced thriller albeit without much room for emotions or drama but I suppose that’s how it’s got to be.
    • Gabbar is Back: Happened to watch it on the way to Bangalore. Not bad, but nothing good either. The scenes regarding the money minded schemes of doctors could have been altered because it potrays the medical profession in poor light.
    • Om Shanthi Oshana: A cute Mallu movie
    • Shawshank Redemption: Back in Deeksha, I’d heard of this movie while playing dumb charades but never had a chance to watch it. A beautiful movie! 
  •  I’d been home for the festival and I did the complete vratha after about 4 years. I’m so glad that I could be a part of the celebrations and the entire pooja went on smoothly all thanks to amma’s preparation that began a week in advance. There’s nothing like the satisfaction of being involved in the festival and wholeheartedly participating in the rituals. What we follow is what has been passed on from one generation to the next. In our quest to eagerly accept modernization/Westernisation we must not conveniently choose to forget tradition and culture. Another thing I sorely missed is singing (the Carnatic/light music kind). Although I sound like a pleasant frog at best, it has always given me some satisfaction to sing these songs. I’ve never really been comfortable to sing the same way back in the hostel so I refrain from bothering my vocal chords. We had a few guests over and when I had to sing, I realized that unlike what I read in textbooks, the songs I’ve learnt are etched as ROM (or is it RAM?! :’) ) in my brain and *touch wood* has not evaporated even though it’s been a decade since I learnt some of the songs.
*Experiments*
Family Selfiee!
Pooja scenes :)
  • Some of the latest songs that are reverberating in my mind include:
o   Saaware : Phantom
o   Beautiful Now : Zedd
o   Run Away With Me : Carly Rae Jepson (A carefree, cheerful song)
o   Gulabi: Sachin-Jigar (morning suprabatham)
o   Shut up and dance with me (Such an infectiously happy song!)
o   Zehnaseeb (from the movie Hasee to Phasee)
  • These holidays, I also visited a close relative which was pending since a long time. The visit was something I will cherish for a long time but it also brought forth the reality of old age. At no other juncture does one feel so lost and vulnerable. For a person who’s always been actively engaged in work, it’s hard to learn to sit back and relax. It’s hard to accept the limitations that age imposes on you and that eventually take a toll on your confidence. Another aspect is how it’s hard for those around them to also accept that the person they knew is no longer the same. Yet it’s important to remain hopeful and instil confidence on them. I wish I’d made this visit earlier, but I’m happy that it finally materialized after almost 2.5 years.
  • We had been to this Bharatanatyam program on Saturday where Adi had a few performances. As always, Adi danced well and so did all the tiny tots with bobbing head movements and wide-eyed expressions. To cultivate any hobby or talent is an achievement and truly noteworthy. As Amma frequently says, it is a “sadhana” and if not done when the opportunity is given, there is no room for regret later.
  • September has had several birthdays and this has led to considerable excitement in our group. Abhi’s Birthday was on 20th and BP and I began hatching a plot a fortnight ago and later Govi and Avm also joined the conspiracy. It all began at 12 AM when she cut a small but delectable chocolate truffle in the hostel. There was nothing eventful after this and the next morning BP and I rushed to breakfast making sure we left the birthday girl behind. After the customary oil drenched dosas we briefed Govi about the Plan Of Action and then the two of us headed to VP’s place who had agreed to play host to us madcaps. Icaboo hovered around and guided us in preparing the relatively simple cooker cake. Later BP left for some purchases with Avm. Icaboo and I saved the cake from becoming a soggy mess by some herculean efforts and I began working on the clues. After the two returned, we began to put everything in place. Meanwhile, Govi was entrusted the responsibility of keeping Abhi engaged (since the 3 of us were ignoring her calls) so they went to a temple and later to a boating site in Bhadravathi. After carefully co-ordinating the timings such that we don’t end up running into each other and after sealing the garnished cake, we rushed to college and set up the clues for the treasure hunt. At long last, we began with the cake cutting and the cake was demolished in no time. Thankfully, it was more than edible!  After this, there was some more running around to ensure that the clues were placed appropriately and then, we began. It included places like the first room that Abhi lived in when they joined the hostel, the perennial source of food and her favourite hangout in the hostel (my room), her native place (the library) and the solitary tree in the middle of the field which was our “Getaway” once upon a time. Having succeeded in making Abhi run around, we sat down and did the next most appropriate thing to do: click pictures! It all ended on a good note to a large extent and after this we retired to the cosy confines of our rooms.
Surprises and gifts, endless selfies, cake baking sessions with Icaboo and
running around for the treasure hunt :)
  • In the evening, Abhi decided that she would treat us. The localites managed to arrange an extra vehicle for us and I got the opportunity to ride with Abhi. The best things are reserved for the last, they say and so it was. It began on a shaky start and I’m glad that Abhi had the confidence to sit on the pillion. Gradually I become acclimatized to the darkness, traffic and the chill when we raced against the wind. Nothing can beat the joy of racing (ok, not really because the Purle Road is a bumpy ride with potholes and road humps lurking at every corner) and that too with someone confident enough to sit behind you! :P Yes, I was a teeny bit nervous but all that dissipated soon enough and Govi and Abhilash were kind enough to let me race ahead and scare any poor dog that dared to cross my path. At long last we reached the destination (Pizza Sky) safely and we began hogging. Later we proceeded to Ibaco below for desserts and then it was again time to ride! We had a photo session again (and also another while riding) and it was one amazing experience altogether! I don’t want to exaggerate but honestly, riding against the wind is like setting a caged bird free. The fact that this was at night only made it awesome-er. And the obedient daughter that I am, I did mention to MaPa that “I went on a ride and came back safely.” and received no reprimands. Honestly, the security guards at the gate seem to have given up on us! We’ve become habitual late-comers and because we take the required permission they can’t really complain. It all seemed like the perfect end to the day but there were some more events that threatened to leave a bitter aftertaste but it in the end, it’s all about what we choose to remember. 


Gaadi Scenes! :)

  • The next day, it was Deepu’s b’day so there was another cooking session at midnight and in the evening it was time for the combined treat of the September borns (Likki, Abhi, Deepu and Hkm)  so we (The kodachadri gang – Nammu’s boyprend and +Sanju and Deepu) headed to Anmol for dinner. After another round of hogging and even chomping on some Chocolate Paan ( Yes, I’ve tasted it and it’s not bad after all) we headed back to college. (7 of us +the driver bundled in one auto!)
  •  So today was the Ganesha Visarjan in college and there was music, dance and fireworks. As it has become customary, we did some customary prancing around in the name of dance and here I am now, blogging about the latest updates!
Just like drugs are detoxified in our body to make them less toxic and then removed, one needs to detoxify oneself to prevent accumulation of toxic thoughts and ideas. Irrespective of the surroundings, one must recognize what is toxic to ones’ own progress and what acts as a catalyst.

With the finals approaching in about 2 months, there is considerable tension palpable in the atmosphere and it’s about time I pull up my socks and get down to business.

I’m not sure if I can blog frequently anymore because time has become unbelievably scarce these days. I’ll be heading to Dharwad over the weekend for the Patho quiz so I’m hoping that it all goes well. Hopefully, I’ll complete part 2 of A Story. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

...