Bliss.

Bliss.

Monday, December 24, 2012

Mount Holyoke!

What do you miss most from your childhood?

It was a simple life back then.
My childhood was synonymous with carefree abandon and freedom in every aspect. I lived in the Castle of Innocence, built from the unrealistic bricks of imagination and fortified by creativity.

Watching the fluffy white clouds drift across the blue sky, setting paper boats afloat on a rainy day or even racing downhill on my cycle were 'major projects' I created for myself. Infact, I had a project to accomplish everyday!
One of these included watching a flower blossom. Having planted the sapling, I was determined to "see the flower bloom". Against all sane advice from my parents, I sat rooted the spot and fixed a beady eye on the plant; I was determined to detect the slightest trace of a petal unfurling. But alas, Fate had ordained otherwise and I fell asleep. When I woke up with the first rays of sunshine, the bright yellow rose was a miracle to my innocent mind.

Another activity I vociferously indulged in was starting my own "clubs". These clubs were started for nature, maths, music or even astronomy and our sole ambition was to "discover something new". So it was not unusual to find a motley group of girls armed with notebooks and magnifying glasses, scrutinizing a surprised insect or a bewildered butterfly.

It was in my childhood that I forged an unbreakable bond with Nature; a bond that has taught me to value and conserve our resources and above all ingrained a deep sense of belonging with Nature.

Teenage has brought its own set of trials and tribulations but my formative years have enabled me to face any hardships with optimism and courage. Be it academic pursuits or social responsibilities, I'm now engaged in a different but equally exciting "project". The creativity and spirit of inquiry have fuelled the ambition of excelling in academics and my love for Nature has transformed into a passion in conservation of biodiversity.

But those magical years of life can never truly be replaced. Gone are the days when I could hop, skip and jump across the street without wondering what anybody would think. Gone are the days when I proposed solutions to the world's problems ignorant of the reality of life. It is this simplicity that I miss most from my childhood. Simplicity, that makes communication easier, learning uncomplicated and dreams, a reality. It is essential that we cling on to the vestiges of this innocuous trait, for it holds the key to our happiness in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

...